Part Two in the series, "High Hopes. IT Salad and the Fiascoes that Follow" by Alan Wilensky
Evil eye. Stink eye. Jaundiced eye. The SAP VAR did not like interlopers second guessing; they didn't get this far billing seven figure accounts with a 150% margin by having guys like me analyze plumbing and operational issues which they never accounted for in their wildest dreams. Not on this job, anyway.
They don't do that kind of specialized, introspective examination of processes, and why should they? They make a system that is a slightly bad to ghastly fit for 90% of the faceless installs they complete. The other 10%, they take the money and run. Client's either need an IT department with the policies and labor muscle to counter the juggernaut of an ERP worst practices program or a CIO (IT manager for the SME) who knows what strategic alignment is (is this project fulfilling a mission?).
They didn't like that I was invited; that I was there at the client's behest cut no ice whatsoever. I was like a card counter in a Vegas Casino - the house wanted to ALWAYS win, even though they make oodles. Well, tough cookies. I've been doing this for years, and in addition to my role as a contract product manager, I am an advocate for the client first, last, and always.